What are Orthotics?
Orthotics are devices worn in your shoes that provide correction to your feet, helping them to function more efficiently. Poor foot function and alignment may be the cause of various pains such as foot pain, hip pain, knee pain and back pain.
Prescription orthotics may help relieve your pain by realigning and stabilizing the bones in your feet, restoring your natural walking pattern.
What is Gaitscan?
Gaitscan is a state of the art force plate linked to a software program that allows your therapist to accurately detect abnormal foot function as you stand and walk across the force plate. The gait scan machine analyzes abnormal weight distribution and body alignment.
The data from Gaitscan together with a thorough history and biomechanical assessment by our Chiropractor helps to determine if your foot function is related to your specific problem. Abnormal foot function can result in common conditions such as localised foot pain(metatarsalgia, bunions, neuroma) heel and ankle pain (plantar fasciitis/ Achilles tendinosis) and other lower limb problems such as shin splints and patella-femoral pain.
How can the Gait Scan help you?
A new, in-depth method of assessing your gait cycle with a dynamic scan gives your health care provider access to a wealth of information that cannot be obtained with the naked eye. Over a million points of data are recorded, tracking minor flaws in your biomechanics and shedding light on issues that if left untreated, could develop into painful conditions over time.
How do I know if I need Custom Orthotics?
We use a combination of clinical experience and Gaitscan technology to decide if you need orthotics including:
- Interpretation of your history of injury and functional requirements including footwear.
- Examination by an experienced Chiropractor which considers biomechanics and factors contributing to your pain and the role for treatment and corrective exercises.
- The Gaitscan results which may indicate abnormal foot mechanics which contribute to your pain.
If we identify abnormal foot function that correlates to your symptoms, we can use the Gaitscan data to help prescribe custom foot orthotics to correct the problem.
- 25% of the bones of your body are in the foot.
- Each day we take around 10,000 steps and it is the complex interaction of your foot on the ground and the correct alignment of your knee, hip and pelvis over your foot that enables efficient pain free walking and running.
- Custom orthotics correct abnormal foot mechanics to help you Move Well & Stay Well