What is FES Bike?
FES (Functional Electrical Stimulation) Bike is a therapeutic cycling activity that uses electrical stimulation to initiate muscle contractions of paralyzed/weakened lower limbs. The order and strength of the muscle contractions are controlled by computer to generate the power to pedal a stationary cycle. The aim is to actively engage the muscles, despite the loss of voluntary control to generate muscle strength and improve overall fitness.
Benefits of the FES Bike
The benefits of the FES Bike include:
- Improved cardio-vascular health
- Improved strength and muscle mass
- Improved bone density
- Improved blood circulation
- Improved intestinal and bladder function
- Improved response to insulin (Diabetes)
- Decreased spasticity in the lower limbs
Who can benefit from the FES Bike?
Many conditions have responded favorably to the FES Bike training. Some examples include:
- Spinal Cord Injury (SCI)
- Brain Injury
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Cerebral Palsy (CP)
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Hip Replacement